Thursday, April 28, 2005

Ordering Timber for Sub-Floor Framing

While the stumps are in perfect alignment laterally, the spacing between stumps supporting one particular bearer can vary slightly from stump to stump. This means that over three stumps, the nominal total length of the bearer is 4.5m, but in reality this could be +/-200mm. This has to be taken into account when determining what lenghths of timber to order (e.g. allow 150mm extra over joins for each piece of timber).

I did a bearer & joist layout plan for the floor, with joins and lengths marked out for the capenter. This means that I can order just the right amount for the job. In my case I needed about 1.4 km total of timber, all stress grade F17, and all 90x45. I ordered about 6 or so extra lengths to cover losses for unforseen factors.

All the quotes for the F17 were very close, at about A$5.30 per meter.